Re: [pyrnet] Choke collar hazard

In a message dated 5/29/2004 6:25:00 AM US Mountain Standard Time, kaiser4@gulftel.com writes:

As for the pups getting choked with the metal ones they currently wear,
they've worn them for 3.5 yrs. and we've been fortunate that nothing has
happened I guess.  They both stay inside and if anyone knows of certain
things that would snag it please let me know so I can check for those
things.

The instance that immediately came to my mind occured at a dog show.  There were two dogs in an exercise pen and they were playing.  One dog's tooth got caught in the live ring of the other's choke chain and it was terrifying!  One dog screaming in pain because of is tooth, the other panicked and silent - being choked by the panicked dog.  It took 3 people to hold the dogs still enough to get the tooth out of the ring.  To top it off, the owners were nowhere to be found and these were three strangers who helped the dogs.
Don't leave a choke on when you aren't there.
As for training, you are going to lose hair, period.  Fortunately Pyrenees have lots of hair and it really doesn't matter - a little creative brushing and its hidden.  The "hair saver" chokes are lousy training collars..  My new method (learned from an instructor with 5 OTCH's and 2 CDX Pyrs) is to start with a buckle collar at 8 weeks, go to a prong when you get to your first class, and graduate to a choke once they know the basics.  I've resisted the prong for years, but I have to say that I have found it very effective and easier on the dogs as well.  They don't seem to mind it at all.  It is much easier on both of us, and not "cruel" at all - in fact it seems nicer than the choke.
JMO
Peggy Watson