Re: [PyrNet-L] Pat Alteri

The GPC of Michigan was founded in the spring of 1967 by 13 enthusiastic
families.  I was a founding member along with the Alteri's.  Much was
accomplished during the first two years of the club:  the newsletter, the Pyr
Bark, began publishing every six weeks; a Constitution and By-Laws were approved;
a Hip Dysplasia Control Program was put into operation; the official club
stationery, with Pyr head-study drawn by Sonya Larsen, was printed; support of
local shows; and general meetings were held every six weeks with guest speakers
and films from the PMD Film Exchange.  It was decided that the club should have a
social function with Pyrs so a spring Fun Match and Picnic was combined with the
Annual Meeting each year.  Our first match in 1968 was with the noted Mrs. Mary
Crane as our judge and in 1969 our honored judge was Mrs. Marjorie Butcher.

We also started a first by having an All Pyrenees obedience class in the spring
of 1969, taught by me and Art Larsen.  We had each earned obedience degrees on
our Pyrs.  It was a sight to see 20 Pyrs, dogs and bitches together in the ring
at the end of ten weeks all graduate as well-mannered canines.  The class
attracted weekly viewers plus the local newspaper who devoted a whole page to
pictures and story about the Great Pyrenees.

In March 1970 the club hosted the first GPCA mid-Western Specialty, in
conjunction with the Detroit Kennel Club Show held at Cobo Hall.  This was a very
large and important bench show in the U.S., and we had a record breaking entry of
23 dogs, 18 bitches, 8 specials under judge Louis Murr who selected Ch. Tip'N
Chip Sonny's Reflection as Best Of Breed, owned/bred by Peavey/Bankus-Cooper of
Illinois.

We also saw another first that year with a exciting performance in the obedience
ring by Limberlost Ami Geant Can. CDX and owner/trainer Dr. robert Ross of Canada
resulted in the honor of Highest Dog in Trial, with a Novice score of 196.

The Detroit KC included the Great Pyrenees in their TV publicity about the show.
Our representative in 1971 was Ch. Esprit Blanc, owned by Al and Pat Alteri.

Pat Alteri was indeed a special person who devoted her life to Great Pyrenees.
She was a pioneer of the GPC of Michigan.  She will be missed by all who knew
her!

Jean Groves Boyd,  Rivergroves Great Pyrenees
A founder member of the GPC of Michigan!