[BNW] Re:BNW - BNW in bargain bin

----- Original Message ----- >
> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:00:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: urbwarzine@earthlink.net
> Subject: Re: BNW - BNW in bargain bin

<massive snipage>

> I got my copies of BNW & RP (and the screen) on Ebay for about $30.00
> (before s&h). I bought a second copy of BNW & RP for about the same price
as
> the set (just because I wanted to have two books if I run the game). It
> happens. In some areas, the game may not sell as well, and it goes into
the
> bargain bin. It's got nothing to do with how good or bad the game is, or
how
> great the game designer is. In some places, the local gaming population
> plays certain types of games (or is CCG heavy), and that's that. You
should
> actually consider it a good thing, because it allows some people who
wanted
> to get the game (but were put off by the initial layout/price) to buy it,
> and possibly use it. In the long run, that's better for the game (imho)

I have to agree here.. bargain bin (sadly) is where many games go to die. It
can be the springing point for many games that have a small but loyal
following. If I pick up a game because it seems interesting, but it doesn't
sell it ends up on the sale table. There have been many times that after
some guy picks it up, he comes in and does special orders for all its
supplements and I call him when new stuff is released. It happened with
Gemini, Unknown Armies, Conspiracy X.

Four years ago Deadlands didn't sell. A few of my friends and I picked it
up, played it, thought it kicked ass and pushed it. It's now the third best
selling RPG in my store (behind D&D and Vampire).

I agree that it's a shame many good games don't do as well as they should.
But bargain bin isn't always the end.

sinisterdexter@mindspring.com