Re: Re(2): [PyrNet-L] Chat, Rescue: Looking for a special home

On 27 Aug 99, at 6:45, Ann K. Wetherilt wrote:

> They ended up paying twice
> the original selling price to get her (and her papers) back, not from mean
> or unkind people, but clueless ones! She was matted to the skin, and was
> spending her time chained up outdoors. She responded almost immediately to
> intense loving and care, went on to get her championship, but most of all
> to become the most gentle, loving, and confident pyr--and the epitome of
> what a therapy dog should be--once she was in an environment with folks
> who knew what she needed and how to work with her.

You make some very good points Ann.  It all goes back to the breeder,
evaluating prospective buyers and supporting the dog for it's
lifetime.  People will tell you anything and many don't have the
ethics and commitment we wish they did. In the case of the rescues we
take in and place;  all respond immediately to the care,
understanding and restrictions we put on them.  Many carry baggage
that needs to be worked out, but they all become confident, happy
dogs with some work and love. They seem to understand they have a
second chance and give back two fold, what they receive.

Each of my pyrs are special and each different.  Rita, my rescue is
so different than the ones I have raised from pups. She was in a home
that allowed her to roam, she was dog aggressive, chased cars and
joggers and was a nuisance.  She had to grow up fast to protect
herself and the owners were glad to get rid of her. Now, it's as if
she knows how good she has it.  She gives back so much with her silly
ways.  She's happy, well adjusted, obedient and those loves and hugs
come before anything else, even her food. I can't imagine anyone not
appreciating her for what she is.  But....with no understanding of
the breed, she was a problem.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico