Re: [BNW] OT: Shadowrun

>>     By the way, I consider Shadowrun to be the worst combination of poor
>> system, weak background, and mismatched style I have ever had the
>> missfortune to play. Somebody must like it though, it's got to third
edition
>> and there seem to be a lot of copies of it floating about.
>
>Something about it consistently selling in the top 10 RPGs... often
>because of "system, background and style."
>
>Anyway, I've played it for years, found it quite enjoyable. Not sure I'd
>apply my tastes on any objective level, tho. I hesitate to say it's
>universally good for all because *I* liked it (or that BNW is
>universally bad for all because it's not my favorite supers RPG).

I too played it for years - I personally like the setting, but the
mechanics had flaws - the worst of which was the patchwork nature of the
character classes, and the general weakness of the early adventures. GM: "A
dragon flies up, breathes on you, and flys away." Players: "Again?"

But it was one of the first games I encountered that heavily emphasized
setting - and it worked, despite the - IMO - clunky mechanics.  We just did
what most gaming groups do anyway and  made up a list of house rules and
changes to the system.   Of course, by the time we were done - our house
rules were 8 pages long.  :-)
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - www.darious.com/deadlands

Everybody dies.  Whether you die on your feet or on your knees, is entirely
up to you.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Ben Bova:
To be reunited with beautiful grey-eyed Athena, the woman he has loved for
all of time