Re: [PyrNet-L] Question About Grooming

Hi Robert and Lea, from the scorching state of Texas, I thought I would
check in with what I use for grooming our four Pyrs., and a Shih_Tzu in
full coat.

I use a wire slicker brush.  Small, both for Su-Ling, and I find that the
small brush makes me take the time to go through the big guys coat slower
and in more sections.  But any slicker would do.

Shampoo is a real personal thing,  I think.  I'm currently using one by
St.Aubrey, in a citrus.  Repels fleas naturally and good for the skin.  I
wash as often as I feel they need it.  Having shown dogs before ( and
show dogs get bathed often ) I don't get too bent out of shape about
stripping the oils.  Mild shampoo, good food, and lots of brushing seems
to take care of that.  Plus I like the soft fluffies!  These four are
just family, not show quality.  But I still like them to look their best.

I used to groom dogs many years ago, and with the exception of an
emergency situation, I do not recommend shaving coated dogs down.  It
definitely does change the texture of their coats after a while.  And
their hair insulates them from other problems.  In real hot weather they
shed out heavily and get right down to those top guard hairs in most
cases.  These dogs do shed so be prepared!  I was not totally prepared
and the helpful folks on the list assured me we would get through it.
With four siblings I do get a lot!  With as hot as it has been here, they
are just down to bare minimum .  Of course my guys are also kept inside
most of the time.  Their out-door pen has a total roof over it.  Mine
came from working stock, and I often tease them about what their parents,
brothers and sisters may be doing while they are in laying on the couch
in this 100 plus weather!

That is basically it from here.  Their coats brush out nicely, and dried
dirt comes off easily in most cases.  If their brushed regularly their
coats seem to stay in good shape.  A few minutes a day going over them
seems to do just fine.

This is what we do, and I am sure you will hear lots more!    Have fun,
you seem to be quite excited about getting a Pyr., and that is really
great!   Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas