Re: [BNW] Stat Maximums & Teleporters-MATT

>>    Well lets see if I can help.
>>
>>    Stat Maximums, as far as I know there are no maxes for Deltas only
>>norms (which is 5D6),  So the 8D6 is legal.  Since you seem to not like
>>the idea of it getting any higher then make suggestions on other things to
>>buy.  Ideas are more tricks like Bullseye, Knock Down and Knockback or
>>things like Spirit, Notice, Guts, Persuasion or my favorite Lie.
>
>I've tried that, "How about some more skills" and she just replies "I'm
>where I want to be in those, and the higher speed means more successes,
>which lets me use Extra Damage trick more!" Oh well. Life's tough. =]

Ummm, but it doesn't.  According to the probability chart Nikolaj whipped up
for me and that I have at my BNW site...

...that's not really correct.

For instance, your two guys are making initiative roll:  One has 5d6, the
other has 8d6 Speed.

The first guy has a 86.6% of rolling at least a five (two actions that
round).  The second guy has a 96.1% chance of rolling at least a five.

What are their odds of rolling a 10 for three actions?  35.3% vs. 50.1%,
apparently.

Sounds kinda good, but their odds of rolling a 15 (4 actions)?  8.9% vs.
13.9%.  At this point, the Speed 8d6 guy only has a 4% advantage over the
5d6 guy.

To get a 20, the differential is about 1.1%.

For this, the Speed 8er spent...ummm, 42 experience or so, right (don't have
my books here and don't recall if it costs double or triple the next level,
but I'm figuring double here)?

By comparison, going from +5 to +10 costs 6+7+8+9+10 = 40 points, and
_guarantees_ another success.  And depending on how the die roll breaks,
even having a +6 instead of a +5 could give you that extra success.

Sure seems like he should be going from +5 to +10, rather than from 5d6 to
8d6.

Now, if he's at +10 already (!!), it might be slightly more cost effective
to go with the 8d6 instead.

At least, that's what it looks like me.  I don't claim to be a statistician,
but still...

---

Steve Crow

"Worm Can Opener Extraordinare"