Re: [BNW] population statistics

Hmm you would like to think that, <ewan>

No, I know it. Very personally. There are some people who know when to stand
and say enough. Even when it's "not their problem". So please don't turn
this personal like that.

1) BNW history posits Big Jack using a tragedy in one city to declare
martial law over the whole country.
     A) A declaration of "state of emergency" or Martial law, can only be
made by the President at the express request of the area affect. Regardless
of the threat in Chicago (hey, it was eliminated, along with most of the
really threatening deltas, Primes), do you really think, say Texas, is going
to say "Daddy gov'mt come protect us"? Any state's politicians going to
voluntarily give up power to the central gov'ment unless there is a very
definitive reason why they can't govern? Come on these guys are Career
Politicians, they don't scare easily, or panic, or crumple under pressure.
Esp. not ALL of them. This simply cannot be a "normal" occurrence. It is a
statistical impossibility. That is happened begs an explanation. The books
just gloss this as "of course they did". They must not know many
politicians. I'm not saying it the history is wrong. Just that the
explanation is grossly inadequate.
2) Big Jack then used Martial Law to somehow "replace the gov'ment with his
hand picked cronies". And block the power of congress.  These are serious
hard-ball politicians. Nobody is going to say they are push overs. Yet
that's what Jack did. Stripped these men of all their political power, like
candy from a baby. And they could easily have impeached him. He'd have to
take down over 1/3 before they knew it was coming. Wow, that's another
statistical impossibility.

3) Martial law is just that. Military Law. Which Jack controls as CiC. (but
not if impeached, which is what congress would do if he threatened their
power) However, even military law has limits. I personally have refused an
unlawful order and turned a weapon on the person giving it. Military is not
synonymous with 'slave conformist'. I was sacrificing my freedom and
possibly my life so that others may be free. And it is remarkable how aware
of injustice that makes one.

4) I never said it was a benevolent police state. I was saying that Big Jack
is maintaining the fiction that it was still a "democracy" in order to keep
the people quiet. "Don't wake the sleeping giant" never refered to our
government. It refered to our people. The American people have a great drive
and a willingness to sacrifice and a towering rage when aroused. And that is
what Jack is avoiding.