[PyrNet-L] Spratts Postcard

Busy sorting out all my dog postcards, cig cards stamps etc for a stall at
the Napier shows this weekend. Checking on the pricing etc I don't usually
tend to pay much attention to what is on the back of these old Postcards but
today I came across this one with a lovely message on the back. The front
(in sepia) shows a small rough terrier type dog sitting on an old wooden
box, his Name is "Caesar" and it says he is "Friend of King Edward The
Peacemaker" and says he is A Pathetic Mourner in the Funeral Procession. On
the reverse is this message.
"A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and in
sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground when the wintry winds blow and
the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side.  He will
kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores
that come in encounter with the roughness of the world.  He guards the sleep
of his pauper master as if he were a king. When all other friends desert, he
remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as
constant in his love as the sun in it's journey through the heavens. Love-
love your dog. Feed him-as your best friend-as he should be fed. Avoid soft,
sweetened or medicated foods. Give him SPRATTS biscuits dry and see that
every cake is stamped "Spratts Patent" with a "X" in centre"
Knew there had to be a punchline in there somewhere!! An early form of
advertising by Spratts on a Tuck's postcard round about early 1900's I would
think, Decided I wont put it up for sale but keep it for the little story!!
Jan
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans. Visit my sites at
http://homepages.msn.com/PetsPl/pyreneanmountaindog/ and
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1920/ and the site of the PMDC at
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/6339/