RE: [BNW] New game for me

>Not exactly.  It's more along the lines of the designer including things in
>the source material that the players can't aspire to (for example, if I
>wanted to play a Phaser before that package was available in a sourcebook,
>it wasn't possible according to the rules). <snip here>

Actually "by the rules" Matt gives 2 ways to make any power type you want.
1) use a different set of power creation rules, 2) make your own based on
what appears in the rule book as a power balance.

Also people state the at some point all the powers are the same (2 blasters
are twins except for skills) simple change the power of 1 or both a little,
more range, less damage, reduce the ROF and Add a die (or what ever seams
fair) to damage. Take a blaster package, remove the ranged effect, add the
trick for the Punching/blast as a power (no 3 success needed) and add +3 to
Fighting or Martial Arts skill, Ta Da, Lu Kang, Guile, or any other
superpowered punchers (powderkeg). Took me about what 1-2 min.

>Your own mileage clearly varies, but that's the soul of debate.

True and this has been a good group to do this with, no attitudes here.